Lesson 88 – الدَّرْسُ الثَّامِنُ والثَّمانون
The Style of Request - أُسلوبُ الطَّلَبِ
Introduction - مُقَدِّمَةٌ
- The style in Arabic is divided into two main types as follows:
- Creative style الأُسْلُوبُ الإِنْشِائِي.
It is called creative because the speaker creates a mutual linguistic relationship with the spoken to, depending on the imperative الأَمْرُ, the negated imperative (prohibition)النَّهْي, and the questioning الاسْتِفْهامُ.
- Predicative style الأُسْلُوبُ الخَبَرِيّ.
In this style there is no mutual linguistic relationship between the speaker and the spoken to, because it does not have imperative, negated imperative (prohibition)or questioning. The spoken to in this style is not invited to give any linguistic reaction rather than listening to the information said by the speaker.
- The creative style is divided into some sub-styles as follow:
- The request style أسلُوب الطَّلَب which we will learn in this lesson In-Shā’-Allâh (God willing):
The style of request consists of the imperative الأمْر (to request doing an action from the spoken to), and the negated imperative (prohibition)النَّهْي (to request stopping an action from the spoken to)
- The questioning style.
- The prayer style (this style is like the request, but it is studied separately, because it has many rules showing how to address the imperative and the negated imperative to Allah.
- We studied the imperative in lesson 40 and the negated imperative (prohibition) in lesson 36. In this lesson we will study both of the imperative and the prohibition from a different aspect; we will the structure of request when consisting of two sentences: the sentence of request, and the sentence of the answer to the request.
- Therefore this lesson will cover the following issues In-Shā’-Allâh (God willing):
- The different forms of the imperative. We learnt the conjugation of the imperative as (اُكْتُبْ - اِقْرَأْ) in lesson 40, and we learnt the use of the imperative verbal noun in lesson 50. In this lesson we will learn a new way to express the imperative using the so-called (lām of imperativeلام الأمر).
- The negated imperative (the prohibition). We will review the unique form of negated imperative that we studies in lesson 36 (using the prohibitive article (lā) لا النَّاهِيَة.
- The rules of the answer to the request أحكام جواب الطلب.