Lesson 26 – الدرس السَّادِسُ وَالْعِشْرُونَ
Composite Number (B) المركب العددي
Introduction – مُقَدِّمَةٌ
- This is lesson twenty six of our free Arabic language course. This Arabic course with images and audios will help you learn Arabic.
- We learnt in lesson 19 and lesson 20 the Arabic numbers from 1 to ten as applied for masculine and feminine numbered nouns.
- In this lesson we will learn the numbers from 11 to 19 In-Shā’-Allâh (God willing). The topics that will be covered include:
- The numbers (أحَدَ عَشَر) "aћada ξashar" (eleven) and (اِثْنا عشر) "ithnā ξashar" (twelve) in a special section, and the special rules relating to these numbers.
- After that we will cover the numbers from (ثلاثة عشر) "thalāthata ξashar" (thirteen) to (تِسْعَةَ عَشَر) "tisξata ξashar" (nineteen).
- We will answer some questions relating to the numbers, such as:
- What are the situations in which a number will be masculine or feminine?
- Are numbers declinable or indeclinable?
- The ending of the numbered noun الاسْم المَعْدود (the name comes after a number)
- Below we will cover some examples. Read the examples carefully and then study the rules that follow in future sections:
"Ĵā'a aћada ξashar ustādhan"
Eleven professors came
"Ĵā'at iћdā ξashrata ustādhatan"
Eleven lady professors came
"Dhahaba ithnā ξashar muhandisan"
Twelve engineers went out
"Dhahabat ithnatā ξashrat muhandisatan"
Twelve lady engineers went out
"ra'aytu ithnai ξashara muhandisan"
I saw twelve engineers
"ra’aytu ithnatai ξashrata muhandisatan"
I saw twelve lady engineers
"fil-faŝli thalāthata ξshara ŧâliban"
Thirteen students are in the class
" ħađarat thalātha ξashrata mudarrisatan"
Thirteen lady teachers attended
" qara’tu arbaξata ξashara kitāban"
I read fourteen books
"qara’tu arbaξa ξashrata qiŝŝatan"
I read fourteen stories
"raĵaξtu baξda khamsata ξashara yawman"
I came back after fifteen days
"nimtu khamsa ξashrata sāξatan"
I slept for fifteen hours
"dhabaћtu sitta ξashara dīkan"
I slaughtered sixteen roosters
"dhabaћtu sitta ξashrata daĵaĵatan"
I slaughtered sixteen hens
"daξawtu sabξata ξashara duξā‘an"
I invoked seventeen supplications
"ŝallaitu sabξa ξashrata rakξatan"
I prayed seventeen Rak'ahs
"muħammadun ξindahu thamāniyata ξashara ŝadīqan"
Muhammad has eighteen friends
"Fatimatu ξindahā thamāni ξashrata ŝadīqatan"
Fatimah has eighteen friends
"hādhā aŧ-ŧiflu ξumruhū tisξata ξashara yawman"
This child is nineteen days old
"hādhā al-waladu ξumruhū tisξa ξashrata sanatan"
This boy is nineteen years old
- We will also learn the numbers from 20 to 99, which include two parts: (1) decade numbers (i.e. 20, 30,…90) and (2) the other numbers:-
"ra'aytu ξishriin baladan"
I saw twenty countries
"ĵā'a thalathūn raĵulan"
Thirty men came
- The composite number may include two numbers connected with the (و) (and):-